[Skip to Content]

Public Housing - Frequently Asked Questions

Public Housing
What is the Low Rent Program?

The federally funded Low-Rent Public Housing Program provides quality, affordable rental housing for families, seniors, and persons with disabilities at developments that are owned and managed by the Housing Authority. The San Angelo Housing Authority owns and manages 174 public housing units throughout the city of San Angelo.

How does the Low Rent Program work?

Pursuant to program requirements, residents typically pay about 30 percent of their annual adjusted income for rent. Utility allowances are provided for households residing in developments where tenants are responsible for their own utilities. Those who choose to do so can pay a Flat Rent amount. Flat Rent amounts are based on comparable rents in your community according to bedroom size. 

What are the requirements to be in this program?
Income eligibility limits for the Low Rent program are set by the U.S. Housing and Urban Development (HUD) as percentages of the local area median income. The incomes below are the maximum household income based on the number of family members in the household. Only applicants who meet the following income limits are eligible.
Low Rent Income Limits
1 persons          $39,200 2 persons          $44,800
3 persons          $50,400 4 persons          $56,000
5 persons          $60,500 6 persons          $65,000
7 persons          $69,450 8 persons          $73,950

I have applied for the Low Rent Program. What do I do next?

It is recommended that you begin collecting birth certificates, social security cards, and Photo Id's of all family members in the household during your wait. You will receive a preliminary meeting letter by mail when your name has come up on the waiting list.

How long will my wait be?

Your wait time is strictly based on housing availability, according to your family size. You will be invited to a preliminary briefing in the order that you applied, according to date/time and according to your family size.

What should I do if my address, family composition, and/or family income changes while I'm on the waiting list?

You must notify the Housing Authority in writing of any change of address or in change of family composition. If you do not notify the Housing Authority in writing of a change of address and any correspondence sent to you is returned, or if you do not respond to a scheduled appointment or any request for additional information, you will be removed from the waiting list and you will need to reapply.

I received the appointment letter /checklist for the preliminary meeting, what should I do next?

Keep the appointment letter and information checklist in a safe place so that you do not lose your appointment date and time. You will need to organize all documents requested so that you can bring them with you to your appointment. If you will need assistance with reading/writing, please contact the Housing Authority in advance to ensure that someone will be available to assist you.

What if someone in my family does not have a Social Security number/card?

It is required that Social Security cards are submitted for everyone in your household, if they have a Social Security number. If any family member does not have a Social Security number, they must submit a signed certification that they have no number. If you cannot find your card or you've never had a Social Security number, we will accept copies of documents that show your proof of eligible immigration status.

What if someone in my family does not have a photo I.D.?

It is required that photo I.D.'s are submitted for everyone in your household over the age of 18.

What if someone in my family does not have a birth certificate?

It is required that either birth certificates or passports be submitted for everyone in your household.

What will the preliminary meeting be like?

During the meeting, the Housing Authority will make copies of all requested documents. You will then be asked to complete a certification packet that the Housing Authority will use to verify your eligibility. You will meet your caseworker and she/he will review all of your paperwork to make sure that everything is complete. You will be asked to return any documents that you failed to provide at this meeting within 10 calendar days. This appointment may last up to 2-3 hours, so plan your schedule accordingly.

What happens after I leave the preliminary briefing?

Your caseworker will review all of your paperwork to determine eligibility. A criminal background check is conducted to verify that no household members have been arrested for drug or violent crimes. Your income is evaluated to make sure that you are income eligible. Rental histories will also be verified to make sure no household members have negative rental or owe a landlord. Those who are over income, owe $500 or more for utilities, registered sex offenders, anyone convicted of manufacturing methamphetamine, those who are on a 3 year ban, and those who owe any Housing Agency money, are not eligible. Once you have provided all requested documents, you will be placed in a pool in the order that you applied, according to date/time and according to your family size until a unit is ready to be offered. If you are denied, you will receive a determination letter by mail within 60 days of your preliminary meeting.

I received a denial letter, what do I do next?

If you are denied due to income, you will be removed from the waiting list as you are not eligible for the program. If you are denied due to a 3 year ban or negative rental, you may request a grievance hearing within 10 calendar days of the date on the letter. A grievance request form is provided with the denial letter. You must complete this request and have it submitted to our office by the specified deadline. Failure to request a grievance hearing will result in your application being removed from the waiting list. You would then have to reapply.

What happens once I am offered a unit?

Once a unit is available, you will be called and offered a unit. You must accept a vacancy offered within three (3) days of the date the offer is communicated. You may decline the first offer, and a second offer will be made. If the second offer is declined you will be dropped from the qualified applicant list and will have to reapply. If unable to contact you by phone, SAHA will send a letter. A move in date will be scheduled at the SAHA office with in three (3) days of viewing a unit. At lease signing, deposits, rent, and utility account numbers will be required before issuing keys. Your caseworker will review the lease, addendums, and rules of the property with you.